Monday, April 17, 2006

Boy, oh Boy....

Beginning last week, Pomegranate began some posts about "What if" you were referred a boy when (obviously) most of us have been expecting female referrals? You can go over and read if you'd like, as some of the post is speculative and not based on any first hand knowledge. It was interesting, though, as the general gist of the posting was there have been quite a few boy referrals as of late, and would you accept the referral of a boy?

Interesting.

I was reading an article this weekend in Adoptive Families Magazine about how in domestic (US) adoptions it is discouraged to list a gender preference because the birthmother will pretty much look over you as prospective parents. She will think that if something happens, for example, and she gives birth to the opposite sex, you will reject her baby. It will not be good enough for you. Parents who have a distinct gender preference are told to look international, as they can put in for a preference there.

Interesting.

It got me thinking about my adoption journey, as we started this process indicating a female child. Sisters, girls, daughters....I want to have girls in my family to keep my family close. That's my rationale. I'm afraid someday my family won't be close. It's the daughters who stay close to their mothers, after all.

There's always a reason for the gender preference. But you never know. You never know what will happen in the future! You don't know who that child will be. You may have dreams for your female child and find out you cannot live vicariously through them. You may think you don't have the capacity to understand the opposite gender and find out that they warm your heart like you never have known.

When I saw the number of people who said that they would turn down a male referral, I was very surprised. These are the people who are waiting for a child, the people who write heartwrenching posts after heartwrenching posts about wanting to hold that baby.....said no to that baby...said they would continue to wait....all because of his gender. Interesting. There are no guarantees in life.

Food for thought:

Four years ago, and it's my first pregnancy. I was twenty weeks and due for my ultrasound. I wanted a girl more than ANYTHING. I had dreamed about having a girl all life. I met my husband at the doctor. When the technician pronounced, "There's the penis!" I almost started crying. I pretty much was crushed. I remember leaving, driving back to work and crying in my office. Isn't ultrasound day supposed to be a happy day?

Ian is the love of my love. I wouldn't change a thing. What a wonderful child...what a wonderful boy! I was so blessed at that moment and didn't know it.

Things happen for a reason.

10 comments:

Kristin said...

what a great post... i mentioned it on my blog... hope you don't mind...

Donna said...

I didn't have a gender preference when I was pregnant (all four times) but when we lost 3 of those pregnancies and decided to switch paths to adoption, I was more comfortable with a bit more certainty.

We looked for an agency that could guarantee us that we'd get a referral for the gender of our choice not because we care about the sex of our child but (mostly) because I needed to be able to believe that a child really was at the end of this long tunnel. I needed to be able to decorate a nursery and pick a name and start buying clothes. We picked a girl because there were so many of them in Chinese orphanages and we liked the idea that we were specifically choosing her for the same reason that she was specifically NOT chosen by her birth family. We felt like it sorta evened things out a little bit. Yes, we know it's more complicated than that but we were happy with our reasons and our choice.

It was very theraputic to spend 11 months getting ready for our daughter. I'm so happy that I had that opportunity to really plan for her and anticipate her. I have friends who specified "either" for a gender preference and they can't start shopping until they get a referral. Everyone has their own pain threshhold but that would kill me!

Donna

Kim M. said...

Great Post! Makes you think. I read the same article and it made me wonder also.

M3 said...

Wow, I knew that most people who are adopting internationally specifically ask for a girl, but I had no idea they would actually turn down a surprise referral of a boy. Very interesting! We said either gender would be great with us, but I do have to say I'm feeling the pain at not being able to shop or decorate or just let go and enjoy. And I'm not being facetious. After trying to have a kid for so many years it's hard to wait more (a year and counting for the adoption now). But the tiny chance that we could be referred a boy holds me back. We said either gender, by the way, because we figured we wouldn't have any choice in the matter if we got pregnant, so why specify in this case. Eh. One year later, and with hindsight, I might do things differently...

rubyiscoming said...

You are a wise, badass woman! Thanks for keeping your posts introspective and thought provoking. Honestly, we'll be thrilled with a girl and thrilled with a boy....'cept, he might have a pretty interesting wardrobe :) Ah, well - that is what gifts, donations to Goodwill, etc. are for, right?

Can I be you when/if I grow-up?

Michelle said...

We specified a girl, but mostly because we knew that was the majority of children available from the country we chose to adopt from. Also, I'm a planner(and a teeny bit of a control freak), so it makes it much easier knowing what sex we are preparing for. We would take a boy in a heartbeat, if that's what we were referred. What we long for is a child in our home, regardless of the sex.

Georgia said...

Dang, I don't know what I'd do if I got a boy. I'm so eager to jump on any baby right now, but I do have a girl's nursery, a girl's name, girl clothes, and enough little girl fantasies to last a lifetime. Could I adjust? Sure. I've already adjusted from a pregnancy to an adoption. From a baby who looks like us, to a beautiful Chinese daughter.

If our turn comes up and they say, you want a boy now or the girl you've been planning for, for over a year next month? Not sure....

i got a long time to mull it over.

Johnny said...

For A2, wifey wanted A BOY. So, I went onto our agency's Yahoo group and posted a question as to how "easy" it was to ask for a boy and got it. Many families (more than I imagined would have specifically asked for a boy) said that they got their boy referral with may an extra month wait (compared to their other DTC families). And, uhh, remember this was a year ago when I asked this.

One story stood out though. A family had specifically asked for a girl and were referred a boy. Sorta the CCAA's, "Here's the hand YOU are dealt by US".

They happily took it because they said that's what it was meant to be, for them.

Stephanie V said...

Normally I cry when I see a penis too.

Gen said...

beautiful post!

I think disappointment is a natural thing as long as we are able to switch our way of thinking and see things in a positive way. It is those women who take the disappointment so hard and take it out on their children and family because she or he didn't get what he expected that end up in turmoil.

I can see both sides of the coin but no side is clear and neither is better than the other. This whole process is based on one's self and preferences - none of us have the exact same reasons for entering into this adoption world.

Like you said..interesting.