Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Reason for My Disappearance

Hi. I promise my writing is going to pick up in about a week. I am trying to get my bearings here in my home again after being gone for four weeks.

I was a bit ashamed to tell you all the reason for my absence, and I didn't know if this was the correct forum to do so. However, being as how my blog is going to change to encompass more than adoption and child rearing and include this topic, I thought I'd share with you first...my original "blog posse".

As a few of you know, I'm an alcoholic in recovery. A few months back, I relapsed and began drinking again. It's ironic because in the past, before my addiction became out of control and I had little education about it, I always thought of the alcoholic as the "bum in the street" or the "loud obnoxious guy at the party". I know that is many people's perception of it. However, I am just your run of the mill stay at home mom. I live in a decent neighborhood. I drive a decent car. I have a great family. I'm a pretty good mom. I used to hold a high paying job. I have no DUIs or criminal record....from the outside looking in life looks perfect. "You" (a collective "you", meaning an outsider) would think we had no problems whatsoever.

However, the disease is insidious that way. It sneaks up and detroys things. I was a "responsible" drinker, or so I thought. I'd usually wait until my husband got home to drink. I only drank wine...and the good, expensive stuff. (because those alcoholics only drink the "bad stuff") I wasn't "falling down drunk". I functioned. The rationalizations are endless. However, because I had some sobriety before and knew I could live a better life and because I knew I was using my drinking to cope and I was craving it, I checked myself into treatment.

I couldn't have made a better choice, as I am there for my family all the time (mentally) and discovered a lot about myself. I have been busy ensuring that I stick with AA this time around (which I rejected the first time around trying to control my own sobriety...I didn't need that silly group! Oh, how I was wrong.), going to meetings and finding a great sponsor already. I have to admit that it isn't always easy as alcohol was my crutch when things got difficult or painful, but I know I'll be living a more fulfilling life ultimately.

I intend to go into more detail in my blog as it launches on ClubMom. I will write specifically about adoption, parenting young children and recovery, as those are the three areas that we mutually (ClubMom and I) decided would be appropriate topic matter for me to cover. I hope that I can educate people a bit about addiction (whether it be alcohol, drugs, shopping, gambling, food, love...you name it...), and break down the negative stigma that seems to be attached to that which is a disease.

Until then, I hope that you all can handle that. If not, oh well, it's who I am, and I am stronger because of it. I was ashamed before I started treatment because I felt like a failure, but now I feel empowered. And grateful. And optimistic. And scared. And lonely. And trying to live each day fully, focusing on the moment that is right in front of me. Not the past. Not the future. Only the here and now.

19 comments:

carrie said...

I will be reading, and supporting all along the way. Thank you for your bravery and honesty. I can't imagine the guts it took for you to make that move and I admire that you were able to do it! In a nutshell, you ROCK!

Your children have a wonderful mom! :)

Carrie

Lisa and Tate said...

Thanks for sharing... I know that it was so hard and I thank you for honesty... Big hugs are sent your way...

Lisa

Kristin said...

You are a brave and strong woman Jen, thank you for taking the collective us along with you on your journey...

To echo Carrie, YOU, sister, ROCK!

atomic mama said...

There are so many things to say. But "thank you" and "respect" will have to suffice.

Or "respek" if you prefer...

Gracencameronsmomy said...

You know I will keep reading. I have a lot f experience with this subject and I will support you in any way I can!
Lisa

My Baby Ain't White said...

Wow. Wasn't what I was expecting to read - not sure exactly what I was expecting but I am honored that you shared.

Alcoholism is a disease. And it affects so many. We have trappings of it in our extended family and it is the most absolving heartbreak to see it overtake an otherwise wonderful human being and break them down to hell and back.

I cannot identify with your struggle personally but am simply in awe of your strength, your resolve and your sobriety.

You are a pillar of strength, friend, and I am grateful to be able to follow your journey.

All the best and to echo Carrie, you are a wonderful mom indeed.

~Karen in NC

M3 said...

Damn, that must have been incredibly hard to do and hard to write about. You've got guts and a big heart. So glad to know you, and if you need anything, I'm just an email or phone call away.
Huge hugs, M3

Johnny said...

I certainly respect the courage and self-confidence it took to write this down. Thanks for sharing.

Gen said...

You are an amazing and courageous woman, wife, and mother. I hope that you know that you can count on me to be one of those people who will be there for you for anything...I'm just a phone call or email away.

I know it must have been extremely difficult to decide to share your life with us...and I admire you even moreso because of it :)

You are going to do great at your new job - and I will be right there cheering you on!

Michelle said...

Wow. That took a lot of courage to write. Of course I'll keep reading. I don't know a a lot about alcoholism, but I know that it is a disease, just like the depression I battle with on a daily basis. Thank you for being open to sharing your story with us, and know that we support you and I'm sending good wishes your way.

Wendy said...

I think it's brave of you to write so openly about it. I hope your sobriety goes well and I will look forward to reading more at Club Mom.

Stephanie said...

I have to say I couldn't be more proud of you! I obviously takes a lot of strength to make a decision to go into treatment. You go girl!

Jessi said...

Thank you for your honesty and courage.

Elle said...

Jen, publishing this post had to have been so difficult. I admire your courage and strength. Thank you for allowing us to follow along.

Mrs Pushy said...

I can feel your strength in this post- you knew what you had to do, and even though it was not what you wanted, you did it for the betterment of everyone around you, including yourself. I admire your courage to do what you did, and then to come forth with your experience. I will be following you on your journey, and supporting you along the way. Thank you for sharing~

Anonymous said...

You don't know me... however I know what is disease can do to a family. And your friends are right it takes a lot of strength and courage for you to share this with so many people.

What a testamony of God's plan for you. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is admit that our plan is not working... but God's does. I will pray for you and your family that God will continue to reveal his plan to you. Please turn to him during troubling times and let him deal with it. He will!!!!

Space Mom said...

Jen,

I am still reading for you. That took some chutzpah to step up to the plate. Congrats and Kudos to you for recognizing the issue and dealing.

You are doing great! Thanks for the honesty

Georgia said...

Wow. You are one strong lady! Even in this somewhat anonymous arena, it is difficult to share something so personal. I admire your courage and look forward to reading clubmom.

Liz Mckay said...

I just happened upon your blog and I'm so glad I did. Being in recovery for over three years due to Alcoholism...I can so relate. I too was a stay-at-home mom as well as work-at-home mom at the time that I decided enough was enough. I still go to two to three AA meetings a week. Thanks for your courage to share!! I look forward to reading more of our blogs!!